TUSD News Release – TUSD High School Athletics Programs Restart Monday, August 10
- August 7, 2020
- Posted by: Cuselleration
- Category: News
The Tustin Unified School District has announced the athletics programs at Beckman, Foothill and Tustin high schools will restart on Monday, August 10. TUSD suspended school athletics and activities on July 10 after the state notified school districts to postpone sports training programs until further notice due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has released new guidance for youth sports activities to reopen including school-based club and recreational programs. All youth sports and physical education in Orange County must follow state guidelines of physical distancing and safety protocols. Sports activities will take place outdoors and no close contact will be permitted under the state’s guidance.
Tustin Unified high schools will follow these guidelines in Phase 2:
- Limiting gatherings of participants.
- Maintaining six-feet distancing at all times.
- No equipment touched by more than one player without cleaning.
- Entry and exit protocols established and monitored by coaches so students do not gather, including staggering times to space out student groups.
- Coaches will monitor and supervise the student athletes at all times.
- Coaches will ensure athletes stay hydrated with personal water bottles and cups that are never shared.
- Student personal belongings will remain separate and secure.
- Coaches will temperature check athletes upon arrival to practice. Staff will use non-touch thermometers.
“Our coaches and staff run a model athletics program under the guidance provided by the state,” TUSD Superintendent Dr. Gregory Franklin said. “We will continue to follow the state’s guidelines and monitor the situation for the health and safety of the athletes and staff.”
The CDPH guidance may be found at the following link:
For more information, call your local high school or the TUSD Communications Office at (714) 730-7339.